Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Do a Sound Check

In addition to playing in a band with my adult friends, I have also had the opportunity to perform in bands with my students. At my school talent shows, I'm usually asked to join a band in need of a guitarist or bassist. It is a great opportunity to work with kids as equals.

I also provide assistance in the set up. I make sure everyone is soundchecked. Well this year I got my band set up but did not check the other band on the bill. They fired up and Cory the guitar player was way too loud. This totally angered his band mates. Most guitar players love to hear "turn it up" but afterward feel horrible about drowning everyone out.

In school we need to do a soundcheck too. We need to make sure everyone is heard. Sure there is always one kid that wants to hog the stage, the teacher has to be the soundman to make sure the all the instruments are balanced and everyone is heard.

I heard a great quote by Benjamin Zander, he is conductor and came upon a great notion that he never makes a sound. In rock and roll the sound man serves the same purpose. He never makes a sound but ensures that everyone is heard. What a great role for a teacher to play.

No comments: