Wednesday, July 19, 2006

You play music, it’s supposed to be fun.

I heard this one at an open mike one night. It stuck with me. It is supposed to be fun, not just music. School, life is supposed to be fun too.

As a teacher you have to remember you teach kids, not math, science whatever. And with kids, play comes first. When you want to teach a kid something play comes first. A kid's first instinct is to play with it, turn it over, push all the buttons, see how far it bends before it breaks.

I don't care if it is a Bunsen burner, a ti calculator, or clay, a kid will want to play first then find out more about it from the expert (teacher).

Remember this when you organize you lessons. Play first, then learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon this blog from the ChuckAmp blog, and I think this is genious. Seriously you should write a book. The parallel you drew between being in a band or learning music, and teaching is very unique and interesting. I loved them all. Saw a few placed where I felt part of the lesson, but it was all very cool. How very rock and roll of you to bring your life long professsion and your life long passion together. KEEP WRITING. Let's keep playing, and get that publisher!